I must solicit help from you, my readers. This Thanksgiving dinner is stressing me out! Here are some questions:
– The man who sold my mom the turkey said to cook the turkey 30 minutes per pound. This is a 15 lb bird so that’s like 7 hours. The recipe I’m using is for a 19 lb turkey–here’s the recipe–and it seems like it only cooks for 3 and 1/2 hours. Who’s telling the truth: the man or the recipe? I need to figure out when to pop the turkey in the oven so it’s done when people are ready for turkey. Who can I trust? Who should I believe?
– Should I worry that the brining recipe in the link above is for a 19 lb turkey and not a 15 lb turkey? Should I reduce the quantity of salt?
– It says to rub the turkey all over with 2 Tbs of olive oil, but I just saw the Barefoot Contessa rub her turkey with softened butter seasoned with lemon zest and thyme. Could I do that instead? I’m sure I could, but I just wanted confirmation.
– How do I baste? Do I need a baster? What does it mean? To squirt liquid on top of the turkey? Can I spoon the liquid?
– Finally: can I take my chef’s knives home with me? Obviously not in my carry-on, but in the suitcase I check? Will I get in trouble?
I thank you, my family thanks you and the turkey thanks you for your help.