As an experiment, I went on to YouTube late last night and typed in a chef’s name and added “roast chicken.” What you’ll find in this post are the results (though I eventually strayed from YouTube), starting with Thomas Keller’s stellar technique above (one worth studying, even for old hands at roast chicken). What’s so intriguing about seeing all of these videos together is how one basic ingredient–a big dead bird–can be approached in so many unique and inspiring ways. Here, now, are the other 14.
2. Ina Garten:
3. Julia Child:
4. Jonathan Waxman (who may make the best roast chicken in New York City, maybe the country):
5. Martha Stewart:
6. Scott Conant (with some help from Michael Symon):
7. Heston Blumenthal:
8. Daniel Humm (who did this on ABC News in front of a screaming crowd, poor guy):
9. Eric Ripert:
10. Jean-Georges Vongerichten (with previously cited Martha Stewart):
You’ll have to go here to watch it; Martha
doesn’t allow embedding!
11. Marcus Samuelsson:12. Anne Burrell:
13. Jacques Pepin (with Julia Child):
You’ll have to go here to watch it; Hulu won’t let me embed either.
14. Wolfgang Puck:
15. Mark Bittman: